Christendom College

Alumnus Shows Visitors New Way to Experience Rome with Tour Company

June 3, 2015

pro-rome-1Christendom College alumni find success in any career field following graduation, equipped with the skills to excel all over the world — including Rome, Italy. Alumnus Joseph Long (’12) recently founded ProRome Tours, LLC, a company seeking to provide visitors to the Eternal City with an unparalleled trip, where they experience the real Rome, rather than what is often sold in brochures.

ProRome Tours fills a gap that has long-existed in travel companies’ Roman vacation offerings, according to Long: a genuine, authentic experience for visitors, where they have the freedom to experience Rome in whatever manner they wish, guided by those who wish to share the best of Rome with others.

“One should be uplifted in Rome, one should love Rome, not leave it feeling at best satisfied. The entrepreneurial and adventurous spirit that led me to leave home, learn a new language, complete an M.A. overseas, and start my own business is the result of an education that liberates the person from preconceived notions of self and of the world, thus allowing the fullness of human creativity to flourish — an education I received at Christendom,” Long says.

joe-longLong first discovered his love for Rome during Christendom’s Rome program his junior year, giving him the desire to return after completing his undergraduate studies. After earning his B.A. in history in 2012, Long lived and studied in Rome for two years, founding ProRome Tours with his brother, and fellow alumnus, David Long (’10), upon his return to the United States this past spring.

The confidence needed to take on this new business venture came from his time in Rome, but also from his liberal arts education as well.

“The liberal arts instructed me in logical reasoning and gave me great problem solving abilities. It also gave me, in general, a universal understanding of things, allowing me to quickly adapt and succeed in the diverse work and academic environments in which I have found myself over the past three years. For this reason, I believe that the education I received at Christendom College helped me understand and approach life, and everything that it entails, better than any other institution may have,” Long says.

Armed with the tools for success, Long compiled a team of individuals for his company who shared his desire to change how people tour Rome, including Paul Encinias, founder of the award-winning Eternal City Tours and adjunct professor of history for Christendom’s Rome Program.

With Encinias and other popular guides, Long plans to provide visitors with a stress-free, comprehensive vacation where they experience Rome first-hand. Taking care of everything from start to finish, including finding the best flights at the best rates, providing personal and private taxi service, choosing authentic Roman hotels, and creating a customized itinerary based on the desires of the group, a ProRome Tour gives a unique, authentic taste of why Rome is called “the eternal city,” and this aspect is lacking in most tours today.

ProRome Tours is already finding success, recently sending its first group, Gregory the Great Academy, on a personalized tour of Rome and nearby Assisi. Long hopes to expand this success in the future, and is currently developing a strategy to provide every Catholic parish in the United States with the opportunity to visit Rome.

To find out more about Long’s company, please visit prorometours.com.

Simple Share Buttons
Simple Share Buttons