Christendom College

Influence of College Leads Christendom Alumni to Priestly Vocations

June 4, 2015

schmidChristendom College alumni have a rich history of pursuing the religious life following graduation, thanks to the college’s educational commitment to the Magisterium and joyous Catholic atmosphere. That tradition continues this Saturday, June 6, with the ordinations of 2008 alumni Rev. Mr. Noah Morey and Rev. Mr. Rob Schmid to the priesthood, in the dioceses of Arlington, Va., and Raleigh, NC. respectively. Their ordinations will raise the total number of Christendom alumni priests to 74.

“Without the influence of my experience at Christendom College, I may not be where I am today: approaching the altar of God,” says Deacon Schmid, who earned his B.A. in philosophy while at Christendom.

Deacon Schmid, a native of Virginia who will be ordained for the Diocese of Raleigh, sees his intellectual foundation, both in the classroom and in experiencing the beauty of Christendom’s liturgy, as key to his success in the seminary after college.

“My excellent education in philosophy, theology, history, literature, and the other areas of study allowed me to pursue my theological studies with a perspective imbued with the Catholic intellectual tradition,” says Deacon Schmid.

moreyDeacon Morey, who earned his B.A. in theology from Christendom, agrees with Deacon Schmid’s testimony, saying that Christendom laid the foundation for his desire to continue studying the rich heritage of Catholicism in the seminary, in order to teach it to others later.

“Many of my classes in seminary covered the same or similar material, so I was very thankful to have the strong educational foundation that I received at Christendom, especially in philosophy and theology,” he said.

Hailing from Seattle, Deacon Morey enrolled at Christendom in 2004, believing it to be a “solid Catholic school” to pursue his undergraduate studies. There, he found an education that would prepare him for his priestly vocation, flowing out of the classroom into a vibrant spiritual life as well.

“Daily prayer — that intimate conversation with God — became so natural to me at Christendom, such that my day began to feel empty without prayer. The chaplains work so hard to make the sacraments readily available, and I wanted to share in their labors in bringing Jesus to His people,” he says.

Deacon Morey will be ordained at the Cathedral of St. Thomas More in Arlington, Va., at 11:00 a.m. on June 6, becoming the thirteenth Christendom alumnus currently serving as a priest in the Diocese of Arlington, joining Fr. Matthew Zuberbueler, Fr. Kevin Walsh, Fr. Michael Taylor, Fr. Francis Peffley, Fr. Carroll Oubre, Fr. Bjorn Lundberg, Fr. Stephen McGraw, Fr. Joseph Kenna, Fr. John Heisler, Fr. Denis Donahue, Fr. Kevin Beres, Fr. Thomas Vander Woude, and Fr. Vincent Bork.

Deacon Schmid will be ordained on June 6 as well, at St. Patrick Parish in Fayetteville, NC., at 10:00 a.m. Both ordination Masses are open to the public, with receptions to follow.

For a full listing of all of the many religious vocations that have been fostered at Christendom College, please go here.

Simple Share Buttons
Simple Share Buttons