Join Our Team.
Full-Time Position, Assistant Professor, Department of Theology: The Theology Department of Christendom College seeks to hire an assistant professor for a full-time position starting August 15, 2018. The candidate should possess a doctoral degree or a License in Sacred Theology. We will also consider well-qualified ABD candidates. The assistant professor position requires an area of specialization in Thomistic moral theology. Additional areas of competence in Sacred Scripture, sacramental theology, or historical Thomism will be preferred.
Located in Virginia’s Shenandoah Valley, Christendom College is a Roman Catholic, four-year, liberal arts college dedicated to restoring all things in Christ through academic excellence and fidelity to the Magisterium. Christendom College is committed to Thomistic programs of instruction in philosophy and theology, which are taught according to the spirit, method, and principles of the Common Doctor. For more information on Christendom’s mission, values and core curriculum, please consult our website: www.christendom.edu.
The successful candidate will teach four classes per semester in the theology core curriculum and major. The candidate should possess a strong commitment to undergraduate teaching in a faith-filled, formative environment that takes joy in communicating the riches of tradition to the twenty-first century student. In accordance with the Apostolic Constitution Ex Corde Ecclesiae, the candidate must be willing to profess the Oath of Fidelity, which the entire college faculty does annually before the local ordinary as a voluntary act.
Interested applicants should provide the following: (1) current curriculum vitae; (2) a letter of application that includes a statement of how the candidate envisions contributing to the Mission of Christendom College; (3) all graduate and undergraduate transcripts of degree-seeking coursework; (4) a sample of the candidate’s scholarly writing; and (5) three letters of recommendation which attest to the candidate’s scholarship, teaching ability, and character. All application material, should be sent electronically to Prof. James DeFrancis, Chairman of the Theology Department, at email@example.com. Questions about the position should also be addressed to Prof. DeFrancis.
Graduate and undergraduate transcripts should be sent to Professor Greg Townsend, PhD, Vice President for Academic Affairs, Christendom College, 134 Christendom Drive, Front Royal, VA 22630. To be assured of consideration, applications must be received by November 22, 2017.
Open-Rank Position, Graduate School, Sacred Scripture: Christendom Graduate School of Theology invites applications for an open-rank position in sacred Scripture to begin August 2018. Preferred AOC is either OT or NT. The ideal candidate’s work will reflect concern with the intersection of biblical studies and theology, especially in patristic exegesis. Applicants must possess a PhD, SSD or equivalent. Senior scholars are encouraged to apply. Applicants should have expertise in biblical languages and be conversant with the historiography of ancient Judaism and/or early Christianity, committed to Catholic hermeneutical principles, willing to take the Oath of Fidelity, and willing to seek a mandatum from the local Ordinary.
Christendom Graduate School of Theology, located in Alexandria, VA, was founded in 1969 by Msgr. Eugene Kevane as the Notre Dame Pontifical Catechetical Institute and merged to become an organ of Christendom College in 1997. Christendom College, founded in 1977, is a four-year coeducational Roman Catholic Liberal Arts College located in Front Royal, VA. The Graduate School offers the Master of Arts in Theological Studies degree as well as the Apostolic Catechetical Diploma at its main campus in Alexandria, VA. All courses for the MA may be taken on campus, online, or in a combination of both formats. The Graduate School also offers residential summer courses at the main undergraduate campus in Front Royal. In addition to its regular MA curriculum, the Graduate School co-sponsors, with the Institute on Religious Life, the Vita Consecrata Institute—a summer program of theological study and spiritual renewal for religious, priests, and other consecrated persons.
The ideal candidate should have a passion for both teaching and research, complement our program’s focus on the thought of St. Thomas Aquinas, express evidence of success in the classroom, and demonstrate a commitment to scholarly excellence in the Catholic tradition. Average expected on-campus teaching load is 2/2 with additional online teaching subject to the needs of the school. The appointee will also provide MA thesis direction and fulfill other roles of administration and service to the school as needed.
Applicants must submit a single dossier containing the following items:
- Cover letter
- Undergraduate and graduate transcripts (unofficial are acceptable for the initial review)
- Three (3) confidential letters of recommendation
Applicants are also encouraged to submit up to three writing samples (not to exceed 10,000 words each).
Cover letters should outline the applicant’s approach to teaching and set forth a realistic, well defined research program. Applicants should also reflect their understanding of and willingness to support the mission of Christendom College, indicating how their background fits the particular mission of the Graduate School.
Review of applications will begin immediately. Position will remain open until filled. To receive full consideration, applications must be received by Nov. 15, 2017. Incomplete or piecemeal applications will not be considered. Complete dossiers, directed to Dr. Robert J. Matava, Dean of the Graduate School, should be submitted electronically or by mail to the following address:
Olivia Colville, Search Assistant
Christendom Graduate School of Theology
4407 Sano Street
Alexandria, VA 22312
NEW Admissions Counselor needed (posted October 25, 2017 – open until filled)
The ideal start date is sometime prior to December 1 but if the right candidate were to apply, and needed more time to make arrangements, the start date could be moved to January 15, 2018.
DEPARTMENT: Enrollment Department
TITLE: Admissions Counselor
LEVEL: Entry Level
RESPONSIBLE TO: Director of Admissions
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: The Admissions Counselor is responsible for communicating with all new inquiries, as well as other prospective students in the database, to qualify their level of interest in the college, and to help them overcome any objections they may have to choosing Christendom for their college education. The main form of contact will be by telephone, but the use of email and texting will also be employed. This position serves as the first-responder for any new students or families, ensuring new inquiries receive an in-depth phone call directly after they sign up with us.
SUMMARY: The Admissions Counselor would be expected to be on the phone 4+ hours each day communicating with prospective students and their families. An outgoing, self-motivated, confident person with a background in customer service or sales would be ideal.
CHIEF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1) Calls new inquiries as soon as they sign up through the website, email, an ad, or any other vehicle.
2) Addresses common questions and concerns regarding Christendom with prospective students and families and seeks to have extensive conversations to explain the benefits of a Christendom education.
3) Calls/texts all non-applied seniors in database to qualify them and see if they are interested in Christendom and what, if any, hurdles may be standing in the way.
4) Offers bi-monthly webinars for prospective students discussing the admissions process and distinguishing features of a Christendom education.
5) Enters pertinent information into admissions database and runs reports when needed.
6) Provides visitors with campus tours when needed.
7) Assists with texting communication outreach to prospective students through texting software.
8) Other related tasks as they may be assigned by Director of Admissions or VP for Enrollment.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS NECESSARY:
1) Must be college graduate;
2) Must have 1-2 years customer service or sales experience;
3) Must be warm, personable, conversational, and confident in speaking with both high school aged students and their parents on the phone;
4) Must be competent in giving public and webinar presentations;
5) Must be able to learn responses to all common objections and concerns about Christendom as well as learn anecdotes about the college that help communicate the story of Christendom;
6) Must be self-driven and persistent in order to keep reaching out to prospects until conversation is achieved;
7) Must understand the transformative power of a Christendom College liberal arts degree and be able to explain it to constituents in an inspiring and persuasive manner;
8) “Detail-oriented” to sufficient degree as to be able to accurately maintain computer database;
9) Computer literate with ability to learn database computer system, Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point;
10) Desire to work for a Catholic apostolate;
11) Friendly, cheerful, and professional disposition.
Please send your compelling cover letter and resume to Director of Admissions, Sam Phillips, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Once we receive your resume/cover letter, we will carefully review your experience and qualifications against those of the position. Due to the volume of applications we may receive, you will be contacted only if you are selected to move forward in the recruiting process. Thank you for your interest in this position!
Christendom College does not discriminate against any applicant or student on the basis of sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, disability, genetic information, marital status, pregnancy or veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.