Saturday, March 17th — St. Patrick’s Day, 2018
The liberal arts education offered at Christendom is not for the faint of heart, but for those who aspire to greatness. The Padre Pio Full-Tuition Scholarship Competition gives the very best students the opportunity to receive an authentic, time-tested, Catholic liberal arts education for only the cost of room, board, and fees.
This year, three full-tuition scholarships will be awarded to academically excellent students who demonstrate the ability to contribute to the college community, both within the classroom and in broader campus life. Candidates are judged based on their performance in the on-campus interview with the scholarship committee and essay contest. Winners are expected to maintain a 3.0 GPA throughout their 4 years at Christendom, assist at various admissions and academic events on campus, and at all times be beyond reproach in their personal conduct, during their time as students.
- New incoming freshmen must have SAT scores of 1280 or higher, ACT scores of 29 or higher, or CLT scores of 94 or higher in order to participate in the scholarship competition.
- In order to participate in the competition, students must have applied to and been accepted at Christendom for Fall 2018, and must have achieved qualifying scores (listed above) prior to registering for the competition. (Christendom super-scores SATs, ACTs, and CLTs, so we take the best score in each section and add them together to make the highest score.)
- The deadline to register for the competition is March 1, 2018.
- Students must register and submit a 1-page resume by March 1, 2018 (resumes should be emailed to Sam Phillips at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Students must be physically present on March 17 in order to participate in the competition. Skype interviews will not be available and exceptions will not be offered.
- The competition will take place between the hours of 1:00-5:00 p.m. During the competition, each participant will interview with a scholarship committee panel and will write an essay based on a prompt given on the competition day.
- Parents of competition participants are invited and strongly encouraged to attend the competition. During the day, various presentations and activities will take place for the benefit of the parents.
- Following the competition, all participants and their parents are invited to join the college community for a St. Patrick’s Day dinner and musical festivities led by college president Dr. Timothy O’Donnell.
- 3 full-tuition scholarships will be awarded. This is a four year renewable academic scholarship.
- 5 $5,000 runners-up scholarships will be awarded. This is a four year renewable academic scholarship.
- All participants who do not receive a full tuition scholarship or runners-up scholarship will be given a $1,000 participation scholarship. This is a four year renewable academic scholarship.
What should I wear for the competition?
Students should wear professional attire. Dresses, skirts, dress slacks, blouses, sweaters for young ladies and suits, sports jackets with dress pants and ties (or bowtie), for the young men.
Can transfer students compete?
No, only students applying as freshman for Fall 2018 are eligible to compete.
Can family members attend?
Parents are strongly encouraged to attend. While siblings may also attend, the event is intended for students and their parents.
Will it be possible for me to stay overnight in the residence halls before or after the competition?
Due to the volume of visitors we will be receiving, we are not able to accommodate overnight stays in our residence halls on either Friday or Saturday night of the competition weekend. For a list of local hotels, please see the “Traveling to Christendom” tab below.
How are the winners selected?
Students are evaluated and selected based on their performance both in their interview and on their essay. The Scholarship Committee is looking for such qualities as the ability to articulate ideas and principles clearly and effectively, leadership potential, a commitment to pursuing excellence, and a passion for the liberal arts and the Catholic intellectual tradition.
If I can’t make it to campus on March 17, could I hold a Skype interview instead?
All participants must be physically present on that day in order to compete for the scholarship. Therefore, Skype interviews will not be available. Sorry! (But if you attend the competition, even if you are not selected as a full-tuition winner, you will receive a $1,000 scholarship that is renewable for four years, so it’s worth trying to attend!)
When will I hear back about the results?
We attempt to announce the results of the competition within three-to-four weeks. All competition participants will receive an email informing them of the results.
If I win the full-tuition scholarship will it be added to my current scholarship offer?
No, the full-tuition scholarship would cover the entire cost of tuition, renewable for four years, and could not be stacked with another financial aid or scholarship offer. Any previous offers would be replaced by the Padre Pio full tuition scholarship. (Please note that academic scholarships and financial aid only cover up to the full cost of tuition and do not provide assistance for room & board costs or required student fees).
If I win one of the runner-ups $5,000 scholarships will it be added to my current scholarship offer?
Yes, this would be added to your current scholarship offer and incorporated into your financial aid/scholarship package. (Please note that academic scholarships and financial aid only cover up to the full cost of tuition and not do not provide assistance for room & board costs or required student fees. If your existing scholarship/financial aid offer already covers 100% of tuition, the runner-up scholarship would be applied against any institutional loans in the original offer.).
What is the $1,000 participation scholarship?
If you met the requirements to participate in the Padre Pio Full-Tuition Scholarship, you have already demonstrated a strong commitment to academic excellence, and you are precisely the kind of student we desire for our institution. Therefore, in the case that you are not selected as a winner of the full-tuition scholarship or one of the runners-up scholarship, we wish to offer you a $1,000 scholarship. This scholarship is renewable for four years and would be added to your current scholarship offer and incorporated into your financial aid/scholarship package. (Please note that academic scholarships and financial aid only cover up to the full cost of tuition and do not provide assistance for room & board costs or required student fees. If your existing scholarship/financial aid offer already covers 100% of tuition, the participation scholarship would be applied against any institutional loans in the original offer).
Traveling to Christendom
By Plane: Christendom is less than one hour from Dulles International Airport.
By Car: Christendom is convenient to I-81 and I-66. From I-66: Take Exit 6. Follow 522 South through Front Royal. (Take a left at the traffic light by the Verizon Wireless Store, and another left at the next light (to stay on 522). At the next light, take a left onto 6th Street. After approximately 2 miles, take a left onto Shenandoah Shores Road. After 1.5 miles, Christendom will be on the left.
Lodging and Area Attractions
Mention you’re visiting Christendom College when you make reservations at the hotels below and receive a discount. Visit Discover Front Royal for a complete list of lodging and area attractions.
|Super 8 Motel
|Fairfield Inn & Suites
|Holiday Inn & Suites
|There are other hotels/motels in the area as well – some less expensive – such as The Quality Inn, Cool Harbor Hotel, and Budget Inn. Christendom College does not officially endorse any hotel, but makes these selections available as a courtesy to visitors.|
Visitors can choose from a wide variety of facilities and activities: fine restaurants, historic Bed & Breakfasts, Civil War battlefields, countless hiking trails, numerous golf courses, and tours of Skyline Drive and Skyline Caverns. We strongly recommend a visit to the Front Royal Chamber of Commerce (on Main and Chester Streets, call 540-635-3185) which stocks hundreds of brochures on area attractions. Visit Discover Front Royal for more information.