2017 Padre Pio Full-Tuition Scholarship Competition
The education at Christendom is not for the faint of heart, but for those who aspire to greatness. The Padre Pio Full-Tuition Scholarship Competition gives the very best students the opportunity to receive an authentic, time-tested, Catholic liberal arts education for only the cost of room and board.
Each year, two scholarships are awarded to incoming students who have demonstrated their academic prowess through their exceptional test scores, essay writing abilities, and interview with a panel of Christendom faculty members.
- New incoming freshmen students must have SAT scores of 1360 (or 2060 on the old 3-section SAT) or higher, ACT scores of 31 or higher, or CLT scores of 101 or higher in order to apply for the scholarship competition.
- Students must have attained these scores prior to January 15. (Christendom superscores SATs and ACTs, so we take the best score in each section and add them together to make the highest score.)
- Before applying for the Padre Pio Scholarship Competition, students must first submit a complete general application (includes submission of transcripts, letter of recommendation test scores, and essay) to attend Christendom College in the Fall 2017 semester.
- In order to be considered as a finalist for the Scholarship Competition, students must complete and submit an online Scholarship Application form and write an essay of a minimum of 1000 words on this topic: Discuss the value of a Catholic liberal arts education and explain why you seek such an education from Christendom College.
- Application materials for both the college and for the scholarship must be received by January 15, 2017.
- Once a student has submitted an application and essay for the scholarship competition, the faculty panel will review the application and make a decision on whether the applicant is a finalist or not. Applicants will be notified of the panel’s decision sometime between January 16 and January 21.
- If the panel decides that an applicant is a finalist, that finalist will be invited to campus to meet with and be interviewed by the faculty panel on February 27. Finalists will be asked a number of questions to help the panel make a decision on a winner. The questions posed will be the same for all candidates and will not be made known prior to the competition. (N.B. Selected finalists are required to attend the on-campus competition on Monday, February 27, in order to be considered for the scholarship)
- Students are highly encouraged to practice being interviewed and answering questions of an academic nature, so that they can feel more comfortable when talking with the faculty panel.
- Students who meet eligibility requirements for the competition, but are not awarded the Padre Pio Scholarship, will each automatically receive an Academic Scholarship at Christendom College. This scholarship is simply the normal Academic Scholarship that all applicants who score a 1280 (or 1920 on the old 3-section SAT) or higher on the SAT, 29 or higher on the ACT, or a 94 or higher on the CLT receive.
- 2 Full-Tuition scholarships are given each year.