Christendom College has been providing one of the most rigorous, liberal arts educations in the nation for the past 40 years. In complete faithfulness to the Magisterium, the College has been giving its students the opportunity to grow academically, in a personalized and supportive environment, so that they can achieve all of their dreams and ambitions.
Christendom’s reputation for academic excellence, personalized attention, commitment to student success, and its extra-curricular offerings make it a leader among Catholic colleges today. And with the Scholarship Price Match Program, a Christendom education is more affordable than ever!
Although there are a number of good Catholic colleges and universities from which to choose, here are some things to think about when discerning if Christendom College is for you.
1. Christendom’s academic program offers excellence, rigor, and personal attention.
- Christendom’s faculty inspire excellence, with over 85% of them holding a terminal degree (from many prestigious colleges) in their field.
- The average class has 18-22 students, and all classes are taught by professors, never Teacher Assistants (TAs).
- Professors spend quality time with students outside of class, particularly during weekly office hours.
- The program’s core curriculum and emphasis on reading and writing is second to none.
- Faculty serve as mentors and friends.
2. Christendom is a smaller school, but at the same time, it offers lots of opportunities to expand and broaden your horizons.
- Many opportunities to gain important leadership skills and do internships.
- Many athletic, musical, performance, and outreach programs available.
- Students can spend a semester abroad, studying in Rome.
- There are a variety of clubs and activities to keep everyone busy.
- Many students take part in the Spring Break Mission Program.
- Many of today’s top speakers to give students the opportunity to expand their intellectual horizons.
3. Christendom is committed to giving its students a personalized educational experience to help them succeed in all their pursuits.
- Personalized Academic Success Program for students who are struggling academically
- Individualized career counseling to encourage student success post-graduation
- GRE test preparation provided on campus for free
- Students have easy access to college administration – able to provide important feedback to improve their experience
- Small class sizes so that no student becomes a number and gets lost
- Dedicated to forming the whole person
4. Christendom’s education prepares its students for life and the pursuit of happiness.
- Christendom does not train students for this or that job, but rather, educates them with the tools they need to do well in every job and all aspects of life.
- Employers are looking for employees who can think critically, organize their thoughts, communicate well, and be innovative in their ideas – Christendom students can do all of these things well.
- Life is not just about getting a job – it is about growing as an adult, finding your vocation to whatever God is calling you to, and ultimately, getting to Heaven. Christendom’s education focuses on the highest things and enables its students to be successful in whatever job they end up doing, but also to be successful in their personal lives as well. Read about it HERE.
- Christendom has a robust career development program to help with graduate school and career path discernment. Read about it HERE.
5. A Christendom education is affordable.
- The college offers academic scholarships based on standardized test scores
- Grant and a deferred tuition program
- On-campus employment opportunities
- Full-tuition scholarship competition each year
- Scholarship Price Match Program
In summary, Christendom is located in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, about an hour and a half west of Washington, DC. It offers a rigorous liberal arts education, taught with a Catholic worldview, in an environment that will aid students in their pursuit of the True, the Good, and the Beautiful. Founded in 1977, Christendom is highly recommended by many in the Church’s hierarchy as well as by many prominent Catholic writers, politicians, and business leaders. It is ranked as one of the top 10 most Conservative Colleges in the nation by the Young America’s Foundation, as well as one of the most radical colleges in the nation, according to the Huffington Post. It is ranked as a best value and best buy by Barron’s and Kiplinger’s magazines, while Peterson’s ranks it as one of the 440 colleges for top students.
Things to Think About:
- Only 27% of college grads work in their field of study? This means that the overwhelming majority of people who go to college to major in one particular field end up never working in that field! Read about it in The Washington Post.
- The vast majority of Christendom College graduates do not work in their field of study? Although they major in the liberal arts, they work in fields totally unrelated to their fields (like 73% of other college graduates), such as medicine, business, education, IT, engineering, architecture, retail, religious education, marketing, and so much more. You can find out more specifics here.
- Employers want broadly educated new hires, rather than narrowly trained employees?
- Read more here from The Chronicle of Higher Education.
- Or again, from The Chronicle of Higher Education.
- Read this very insightful survey summary from the Association of American Colleges and Universities: It Takes More than a Major: Employer Priorities for College Learning and Student Success.
- See what Time magazine says about it.
- Business Leaders want Liberal Arts Grads, not Business Majors.
- The Leaders of Silicon Valley – Bill Gates or Steve Jobs?
- You can do just about anything with a degree in History, Theology, Classics, Philosophy, Political Science, or English Language and Literature – and do not need to go to grad school to do it (but can if you want – only 9% of Americans over 25 have a graduate degree)?