studying-abroad-summer-1Two Christendom College students are spending their summer vacations in an uncommon way this year: traveling across the Atlantic to study history and Greek in foreign lands. Rising juniors Mary Schneider and Jane Adams are each undertaking adventures of a lifetime as they study in Romania and Ireland respectively, continuing their educational growth outside their normal Front Royal, Va., classrooms.

Schneider, who is majoring in philosophy and minoring in classical and early Christian studies, has always harbored an interest in studying history in the field. When presented with such an opportunity by Christendom professor Dr. Andrew Beer this past year, Schneider did not hesitate in applying for a position with Archeotek, a Canadian archeological institute. Within a few short weeks, Schneider was selected to take part in a three-week dig this summer in a legendary location: Transylvania, Romania.

Rising junior Mary Schneider

Rising junior Mary Schneider

While in Transylvania, Schneider will take part in an archeological dig at a medieval church, excavating an ancient cemetery to research the history of the community there. For Schneider, such an opportunity is an incredible honor — one she expects to not soon forget.

“I look at this as a once in a lifetime opportunity to expand my academic horizons and delve into a completely different way of studying history than what I’ve experienced so far,” says Schneider. “I’m looking forward to exploring Eastern Europe in my time there, and to being immersed in the different cultures I’ll encounter. This type of thing is what I love about Christendom. Students are always encouraged to use their summers to continue their growth as well rounded and intellectually rooted Catholics, whether that means going on an archaeological dig, or going home to spend the summer with their families.”

Rising junior Jane Adams

Rising junior Jane Adams

Jane Adams will aim to continue her growth overseas as well, when she arrives in Ireland for two months of intensive Greek studies this summer. Adams, a philosophy major with a minor in classical and early Christian studies, will do so thanks to the new Dare to be Great Advanced Education Scholarship: a means of providing financial support to select students who wish to supplement their education outside of the Christendom curriculum to prepare for future occupations and academia.

Adams is already studying Latin and Greek at Christendom, but was recommended to supplement her undergraduate studies with a deeper, more intensive study of Ancient Greek. At the University College Cork in Ireland, Adams will seek to accomplish just that, as she works towards furthering her future chances at graduate school.

“I’m sure that four years of courses at Christendom, supplemented by this summer course, will make me a very attractive candidate to graduate schools,” says Adams. “A deeper understanding of both Latin and Greek will set me apart in my qualifications for graduate work.”

Thanks to their extraordinary summer plans, both Schneider and Adams will grow in their educational knowledge in unique locations, whether it be in classrooms or in archeological sites. In both cases, the rising juniors will bring something else to these foreign lands as a result: their well-formed Catholic viewpoints and philosophies, as they continue the noble mission of Christendom: to “restore all things in Christ.”