Spend Some Time in the Shenandoah Valley
Visiting a college is the perfect way to determine if it fits your needs. There are so many aspects to consider when looking at various colleges, it can be daunting. But visiting a campus, sitting in on classes, meeting other students, and experiencing the actual life of the college can be a real game changer. When students and their families visit Christendom, they leave deeply impressed with the joyful nature of the student body, the personalized education given by the impressive faculty, and the breathtaking beauty of the college’s rural campus.
After seeing the college community in action, visitors can more easily imagine themselves participating in Christendom’s time-tested, Catholic liberal arts educational program, immersed in a vibrant Catholic community. Students are invited to visit the campus in four different ways:
- A day visit: This includes a personalized campus tour and your own student ambassador; a meeting with the Admissions Director; and you can attend a class, go to 11:30am Mass, and eat lunch with the community. These may be arranged during the academic year only, although families are invited to tour campus and attend Mass during the summer months. If families are travelling near or through the Front Royal, Virginia, area, they should definitely stop by campus for a tour and attend our 11:30am M-F daily Masses.(See Day Visit Policies Below)
- An overnight visit: This includes a personalized campus tour and your own student ambassador; the opportunity to stay in the residence halls overnight; a meeting with the Admissions Director; and you can attend multiple classes, go to Mass, and eat all meals with the community. These may be arranged throughout the academic year. Overnight visitors will stay in one of the residence halls with a student ambassador. Overnight visits are available from Sunday evening through Thursday evening during the academic year. (See Overnight Visit Policies Below)
- An Open House event: This is a more formal event, with group tours and presentations, but also gives families the opportunity to attend Mass, dine with the faculty; meet the College President; and students attend a class. We’ll be hosting Open Houses on Columbus Day (October 14, 2019), Veterans Day (November 11, 2019), and Presidents Day (February 17, 2020). Click here to register and find out more.
- A Homeschool Visit Day: Like the Open House, this is a more formal event, with group tours and presentations, but also gives homeschool families the opportunity to attend Mass, dine with the faculty; meet the College President; and students attend a class. This year’s event took place on October 26, and we will be holding our next event on Friday, September 27, 2019. To see the schedule from this year’s past event, click here.
- The Experience Christendom Summer Program: Simply put, this is The Best Week Ever. Students who are rising high school seniors spend a week on our campus, taking classes, enjoying the beauty of the Shenandoah Valley, meeting others from around the country, taking part in many fun social activities and enriching spiritual activities, and experiencing the life of a Christendom student. Click here to learn more.
Students wishing to visit must fill in the Visit Request Form prior to making travel arrangements! Black out dates are listed on the Visit Request Form for your convenience.
Day Visit Policies
To make a one-day visit, without an overnight stay, please contact the College at least three days beforehand. Parents and family members are welcome to dine in the College cafeteria during their visit. Lodging is available in Front Royal. Please fill in the Visit Request Form or call Clare Tapsak in the Admissions Office at 540-551-9187, or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a visit. The Admissions Office is open on weekdays from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. except from 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. (for Mass and lunch). Please note that day visits are not available on the weekend.
If you would like to schedule a day visit during the summer, please contact Clare Tapsak in the Admissions Office: email@example.com or 800-877-5456 ext. 1292. Campus tours are generally given at 10am and 2pm daily, by reservation only.
Overnight Visit Policies
All prospective students are limited to two (2) official overnight Admissions-sponsored visits to campus. To be classified as an official Admissions-sponsored visit (which includes transportation to/from airport, meal tickets, and bedding), students must sit in on classes and meet with the Admissions Director, among other things. Exceptions may be made on a case by case basis.
If someone has friends/relatives on campus and would like to visit them/stay with them, these types of visits are made through the current student, and not through the Admissions Office.
PLEASE NOTE: The College requests a minimum of a two-week advance notice for any overnight visits. We do not offer Overnight Visits on Friday or Saturday nights. Further, the College requires that you read, complete, and sign its Overnight Visit Policy Form. You will not be allowed to stay overnight without this form.
Students who are traveling to Christendom by car should bring sleeping bags or sheets and blankets, as well as towels and pillows, etc.
For those who are traveling by plane, they may stay two nights and towels, sheets, blankets, and pillows will be provided, and the College will provide complimentary transportation to and from the airport. Students who wish to be picked up at either Dulles Airport (IAD) or the Vienna Metro Station will be picked up between 12:00pm-9:00pm M-Th and 8:00am-9:00pm on Sunday and returned between 12:00pm and 9:00pm M-F. You must make travel arrangements that conform to this schedule or we cannot guarantee transportation for you.
The student ambassadors may have obligations including classes, studying, meetings, sporting events, or even work-study obligations, and therefore, visiting students may need to spend some time on their own. Visitors are asked to have a flexible attitude! Please note that only High School Juniors, Seniors, and Transfers, 16 years or older, may make an overnight visit and stay in our residence halls. All others may make a day visit or stay in local hotels.
For many prospective students, spending the night on a college campus can be daunting and intimidating. Yet, visiting different colleges and touring campuses is one of the most important ways to determine which school is the right fit. Christendom has a unique Student Ambassador program in place to ensure that the visit process is easy and low-stress for our prospective students, and that all our visitors are extended gracious hospitality as they seek to experience a day in the life of a Christendom student.
Visitors are paired with a student ambassador who serves as the visitor’s host during the stay. Visitors will then shadow their student ambassador and observe an average day at Christendom by attending class, going to 11:30 Mass, having lunch in the St. Lawrence Commons with all the students and faculty present, participating in extracurricular activities, and spending the night in a residence hall. All of these opportunities give visitors the chance to get to know Christendom and its faculty and students on a personal basis.
Each ambassador is chosen for their friendly demeanor and welcoming personality to ensure that every visitor enjoys themselves and leaves with a greater understanding of Christendom’s distinctive Catholic liberal arts education and vibrant campus culture. You can see all of this year’s student ambassadors in the photo above — meet them all for yourselves by scheduling a visit at Christendom today!
To Make a Visit:
- Find a time that fits your schedule.
- Fill in the Visit Request Form, at least two weeks prior to your planned visit date (if staying overnight) or at least three days prior if making a day visit, making sure that you take note of the black out dates.
- Wait for Visit Coordinator Clare Tapsak to contact you to confirm your visit.
- Make travel arrangements that conform to our schedule (above).
- Sign and return the Overnight Visit Policy Form (if staying overnight).
- Count down the days until your arrival!