We are excited to be welcoming visitors to campus this fall. Please note that in light of Covid-19 there will be precautionary measures for those visiting our campus and there are limited spots each week for scheduled visits.
Please read the COVID Protocol for Visitors that is detailed below and don’t hesitate to contact our Visit Coordinator, Clare Tapsak, at 540.551.9187 with any questions about scheduling your visit.
Spend Some Time in the Shenandoah Valley
Visiting a college is the perfect way to determine if it fits your needs. There are so many aspects to consider when looking at various colleges, it can be daunting. But visiting a campus, sitting in on classes, meeting other students, and experiencing the actual life of the college can be a real game changer. When students and their families visit Christendom, they leave deeply impressed with the joyful nature of the student body, the personalized education given by the impressive faculty, and the breathtaking beauty of the college’s rural campus.
After seeing the college community in action, visitors can more easily imagine themselves participating in Christendom’s time-tested, Catholic liberal arts educational program, immersed in a vibrant Catholic community. Students are invited to visit the campus in many different ways:
- A Day Visit: This includes a personalized campus tour and your own student ambassador; a meeting with the Admissions Director; and attending a class, going to 11:30am Mass, and eating lunch with the community. These may be arranged during the academic year only, although families are invited to tour campus and attend Mass during the summer months. If families are travelling near or through the Front Royal, Virginia, area, they should definitely stop by campus for a tour and attend our 11:30am M-F daily Masses.(See Day Visit Policies Below)
- An Overnight Visit: This includes a personalized campus tour and your own student ambassador; the opportunity to stay in the residence halls overnight; a meeting with the Admissions Director; and attending multiple classes, going to Mass, and eating all meals with the community. These may be arranged throughout the academic year. Overnight visitors will stay in one of the residence halls with a student ambassador. Overnight visits are available from Sunday evening through Thursday evening during the academic year. (See Overnight Visit Policies Below)
- An Open House event: This is a great way for parents and prospective students to receive an overview of Christendom, by hearing informative presentations on its unique mission, education and its various offerings. As part of the open house, families will tour campus, and students will attend a classroom. We’ll be hosting Open Houses on Saturday, October 10, 2020, October 24, 2020, and November 21, 2020. Click here to find out more.
- Homeschool Visit Day: Similar in format to an Open House, this event is geared toward homeschooling students and families. Learn why homeschoolers thrive at Christendom (and make up 60% of our student body) by touring campus, attending a class, and hearing presentations on our Catholic liberal arts education, alumni outcomes, and various opportunities. This year’s event will take place on Saturday, September 26, 2020. Click here to register.
- A Virtual Visit: If you can’t make it out to campus, we encourage you to explore our virtual visit page! You can watch a tour of campus and set up a virtual meeting with an Admissions Representative. There are also videos of campus life and activities for further information. Click here to go to the Virtual Visit Page!
- Virtual Open House event: This is similar to the in-person Open Houses, except that everything will be live-streamed. Watch presentations, talks, participate in Q&A, and hear from specific faculty members. We’ll be hosting Virtual Open Houses for the Fall on October 21 and December 10.
- The Experience Christendom Summer Program: Simply put, this is The Best Week Ever. Students who are rising high school seniors spend a week on our campus, taking classes, enjoying the beauty of the Shenandoah Valley, meeting others from around the country, taking part in many fun social activities and enriching spiritual activities, and experiencing the life of a Christendom student. Click here to learn more.
To Make a Visit:
- Find a time that fits your schedule.
- Fill in the Visit Request Form, at least two weeks prior to your planned visit date (if staying overnight) or at least five days prior if making a day visit, making sure that you take note of the black out dates.
- Wait for Visit Coordinator Clare Tapsak to contact you to confirm your visit.
- Set up your account with the college (instructions will be given by Clare Tapsak).
- Make travel arrangements that conform to our schedule (above).
- Sign and return the Visit Policy and Protocol Forms.
- Count down the days until your arrival!
2020 COVID Protocol for Visitors
We look forward to welcoming you to Christendom to experience first-hand our beautiful rural campus, inspiring time-tested liberal arts education, and vibrant Catholic culture. To ensure the safety and well-being of both visitors and members of the Christendom community, we have implemented the following protocol for official admissions visits to campus during the fall semester. Please review the following material carefully.
Things to know prior to visiting:
Important: Please do NOT book flights or make any final arrangements for your visit until you have spoken with our visit coordinator Clare Tapsak and your visit is confirmed.
Prior to your arrival on campus, you will be asked to complete and sign our Covid-19 screening form questionnaire (You can review the questionnaire HERE) and sign an assumption of risk waiver 1 business day before your arrival. If under 18 years of age, both the prospective student and his/her guardian will need to sign. If you answer “yes” to any of the questions on the questionnaire, it is possible you may NOT be able to visit at this time. Please contact our office to see if a visit will still be possible.
If you are sick, are showing any symptoms, have recently been in close contact with a Covid-positive patient, or are currently under a quarantine, you may NOT come to campus. In the case that after scheduling a visit you become sick, are showing symptoms, have been in close contact with a Covid-positive patient, or are under a quarantine, please notify us immediately to cancel your visit and we will work with you to see if there is the possibility of re-scheduling your visit for a later date.
Details for your arrival to campus
Upon arriving to campus you and any accompanying families members will be asked to fill out the Covid-19 screening questionnaire again and all visitors will be given a temperature check.
In the case that you or anyone accompanying you have a 100.4 or higher fever you will NOT be permitted to stay in the residence halls or remain on campus and you will have to make arrangements to go home or stay elsewhere. In that situation, you and your family will be financially responsible for making any necessary travel and lodging arrangements, and Christendom will not reimburse travel expenses if the visit is cancelled due to necessary health precautions.
In the case that you or anyone accompanying you answers “yes” to any of the questions on the Covid-19 screening questionnaire but do NOT have a fever of 100.4 or higher, Christendom’s designated medical professional will be contacted to review your situation to determine the next steps; one possibility is that the medical professional will determine that you are not able to remain on campus, in which case you would have to make plans to leave campus immediately.
All visitors are strongly encouraged to do a temperature check and check for symptoms directly prior to traveling to campus to avoid the unfortunate situation of being sent away upon arrival at Christendom. Especially if traveling from long distances, this is important to avoid unnecessary inconvenience and expense for you and your family.
Day Visit Policies
To make a one-day visit, without an overnight stay, please contact the College at least five days beforehand. Parents and family members are welcome to dine in the College cafeteria during their visit. Lodging is available in Front Royal. Please fill in the Visit Request Form or call Clare Tapsak in the Admissions Office at 540-551-9187, or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a visit. The Admissions Office is open on weekdays from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. except from 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. (for Mass and lunch). Please note that day visits are not available on the weekend.
If you would like to schedule a day visit during the summer, please contact Clare Tapsak in the Admissions Office: email@example.com or 540-551-9187.
Overnight Visit Policies
All prospective students are limited to two (2) official overnight Admissions-sponsored visits to campus. To be classified as an official Admissions-sponsored visit (which includes transportation to/from airport, meal tickets, and bedding), students must sit in on classes and meet with the Admissions Director, among other things. Exceptions may be made on a case by case basis.
If someone has friends/relatives on campus and would like to visit them/stay with them, these types of visits are made through the current student, and not through the Admissions Office.
PLEASE NOTE: The College requests a minimum of a two-week advance notice for any overnight visits. We do not offer Overnight Visits on Friday or Saturday nights. Further, the College requires that you read, complete, and sign its Overnight Visit Policy Form. You will not be allowed to stay overnight without this form.
Students who are traveling to Christendom by car should bring sleeping bags or sheets and blankets, as well as towels and pillows, etc.
For those who are traveling by plane, they may stay two nights and towels, sheets, blankets, and pillows will be provided, and the College will provide complimentary transportation to and from the airport. Students who wish to be picked up at either Dulles Airport (IAD) or the Vienna Metro Station will be picked up between 12:00pm-9:00pm M-Th and 8:00am-9:00pm on Sunday and returned between 12:00pm and 9:00pm M-F. You must make travel arrangements that conform to this schedule or we cannot guarantee transportation for you.
The student ambassadors may have obligations including classes, studying, meetings, sporting events, or even work-study obligations, and therefore, visiting students may be spending time doing quiet work, or getting to know other students. Visitors are asked to have a flexible attitude! Please note that only High School Juniors, Seniors, and Transfers, 16 years or older, may make an overnight visit and stay in our residence halls. All others may make a day visit or stay in local hotels.
For many prospective students, spending the night on a college campus can be daunting and intimidating. Yet, visiting different colleges and touring campuses is one of the most important ways to determine which school is the right fit. Christendom has a unique Student Ambassador program in place to ensure that the visit process is easy and low-stress for our prospective students, and that all our visitors are extended gracious hospitality as they seek to experience a day in the life of a Christendom student.
Visitors are paired with a student ambassador who serves as the visitor’s host during the stay. Visitors will then shadow their student ambassador and observe an average day at Christendom by attending class, going to 11:30 Mass, having lunch in the St. Lawrence Commons with all the students and faculty present, participating in extracurricular activities, and spending the night in a residence hall. All of these opportunities give visitors the chance to get to know Christendom and its faculty and students on a personal basis.
Each ambassador is chosen for their friendly demeanor and welcoming personality to ensure that every visitor enjoys themselves and leaves with a greater understanding of Christendom’s distinctive Catholic liberal arts education and vibrant campus culture. You can see all of this year’s student ambassadors in the photo above — meet them all for yourselves by scheduling a visit at Christendom today!