Everything is bigger in Texas, as the saying goes. Luke Schultz certainly fits that bill. Schultz is 6’11”, and a native of Fredericksburg, Texas, a rural town located in Texas Hill Country. In high school, Schultz was focused on his academics, friendships, and career in basketball. That career in basketball eventually took him to a NCAA Division I state school as a highly anticipated recruit, but Schultz felt called to something more from college. Having visited Christendom’s campus, Schultz knew that Christendom could give him what he was searching for.

Schultz comes from a deeply Catholic family in Texas, and that faith has been an integral part of his life. Attending high school at Our Lady of the Hills, a Catholic private college preparatory high school, helped strengthen his faith, while he was also challenged in the classroom and on the basketball court. As a player, Schultz averaged 17.7 points and 13.8 rebounds a game, while also earning First Team All-Class 3A and a district player of the year award. He also earned all-state honorable mention honors as a sophomore.

Schultz earned multiple basketball honors in high school and was recruited to play NCAA Division I basketball, before transferring to Christendom.

Before beginning his senior year at Our Lady of the Hills, Schultz decided to take a trip to Virginia for a week, in order to attend the Experience Christendom Summer Program. While he wasn’t sure about what route he wanted to take for college, he left Christendom impressed and intrigued.

“I thoroughly enjoyed the experience of ‘the best week ever,’” says Schultz. “As well as making a few friends during the camp, I became acquainted with athletic director Patrick Quest and a few of the Crusader basketball players. I had a sense that the young men were truly dedicated to their coach as well as their Catholic faith.”

Schultz attended the Experience Christendom Summer Program, and fell in love with the school.

That fall of 2016, Schultz was presented with an amazing opportunity. Thanks to his coaches, Schultz was offered the chance to play Division I basketball at Montana State University, and he signed a letter of intent that fall. He finished his senior year at Our Lady of the Hills strong, with good grades and even a state championship ring in basketball. His path seemed to be set, but Schultz eventually felt disconcerted by the secularism at Montana State. Thinking and praying hard about it, he decided to leave Montana and go to a place he felt would challenge him academically and physically, but also spiritually: Christendom.

“Christendom’s curriculum will assuredly prepare and benefit me for the future career I choose in the midst of the secular world,” says Schultz. “I hope to contribute my personality, faith, and past experiences to those around me, as well as share my athletic abilities on the court in the sport of basketball.”

Schultz is excited to be at Christendom now, and to be formed by the education and community.

Since arriving at Christendom in January, Schultz has done just that. In the classroom, he has been challenged by the academic rigor of the college’s liberal arts education and has enjoyed the high level of student to professor interaction available both in and outside the classroom. He’s already forming strong friendships, and he’s wowed on the basketball court, averaging 18.3 points and 9.0 rebounds a game.

Transferring in the middle of college, especially in the middle of a freshman year, can be a tough decision. For Schultz, he’s confident he’s made the right one, as he continues to grow as a scholar, an athlete, and a Catholic.