Graduate to Succeed Russell Hittinger at University of Tulsa

May 6, 2019

Christendom alumnus Dr. Donald Prudlo will succeed noted writer, professor, and speaker Dr. Russell Hittinger as the William K. Warren endowed Chair of Catholic Studies at the University of Tulsa this fall. The achievement for Prudlo comes after years of teaching and writing, and marks a high point for one of the college’s most successful alumni in the field of academia.

Donald Prudlo.

Prudlo, currently a professor of ancient and medieval history at Jacksonville State University, is prepared to succeed Hittinger at Tulsa. Hittinger is one of America’s leading thinkers on the intersection of philosophy, religion, and law, with particular emphasis on the thought of St. Thomas Aquinas. A member of the governing council of the Pontifical Academy of St. Thomas Aquinas, an illustrious writer, and also a former professor at Christendom College, Hittinger leaves behind a meaningful legacy at Tulsa that Prudlo will now seek to continue.

“I am humbled by this selection and know that it is due in no small part to my education at Christendom,” says Prudlo. “I always tell people that I could not imagine a better formation than the one I received at Christendom; it is the best conceivable preparation that a humanities professor could have. I hope to continue to build on the work of Dr. Carroll and of all of my fine professors.”

Russell Hittinger.

Prudlo graduated with a B.A. in history from Christendom in 1999 before earning his M.A. in theological studies from the college’s graduate school. He earned his Ph.D. from the University of Virginia in 2004, going into teaching soon after. Prudo has a distinguished writing career of his own, writing two books, including Certain Sainthood and The Martyred Inquisitor, with a third, a new biography of St. Thomas Aquinas, coming later this summer.