Junior Phoebe Wing will be presenting her paper, “A Philosophy of Paradox in Augustine’s Confessions” at the annual meeting of the Society for Classical Studies in January 2020.

The Society for Classical Studies is the leading organization in the US for the study of ancient Greek and Roman languages, literatures, and civilizations. Each January the Society holds a capstone meeting in conjunction with the Archaeological Institute of America, an opportunity for select members to present papers. This year Wing was one of the scholars chosen to present.

Dr. Andrew Beer, Associate Professor of Classical and Early Christian Studies, informed his students of this unique opportunity. At the time Phoebe, a mathematics major, was taking Beer’s “Confessions of St. Augustine” class to contribute to her work in the Advanced Studies Program. During the class, she noticed how St. Augustine incorporated paradoxes while telling his conversion story and wanted to learn more about the literary meaning behind his writings.

“Augustine’s Confessions has made a deep impression on me since my first time reading it in high school–but I never dreamed of the depths I would find in it by taking Dr. Beer’s Confessions class,” Wing shared. “There’s a really fine line between linguistics and philosophy. I’m grateful that the academic culture at Christendom is robust enough to give an insightful account of both!”

Though the original idea for the paper was inspired by Beer, Wing did most of her research independently. Her focus spanned across disciplines, incorporating rhetoric, philosophy, theology, and logic.

“I am greatly indebted to my classics, philosophy, theology, history, and even math professors for equipping us students with judgment in these areas as I went to do my independent research,” remarked Wing.

The education Wing is receiving at Christendom is molding her into an articulate, well-rounded, and confident academic. To learn more about Christendom’s classics department, click here.

Written with contributions from Vivian Zadnik (’20). 

Christendom College admits students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other school-administered programs.
shares