Christendom College history professor Dr. Brendan McGuire is requesting prayers as he undergoes another battle with cancer. In an update to the college community last week, McGuire explained his current health instability, which includes cancer and a bone marrow disease, along with the next steps that will be taken in the days ahead.

McGuire has fought back Ewing’s sarcoma over and over again for the past nine years, after being originally diagnosed with the rare type of cancer in 2011. During this battle, McGuire has still heroically taught students, both on Christendom’s Front Royal, Virginia campus and over in Ireland for the college’s St. Columcille Institute as well.

This past year, he was diagnosed with myelodysplastic syndrome, a bone-marrow disorder, that came about as a side effect of all the treatments he received for his previous battles with cancer. He was set to undergo an intense bone marrow transplant process this spring to cure the problem, until doctors discovered that his original cancer had returned for a fifth time.

McGuire is set to begin radiation treatment for the Ewing’s sarcoma this coming week, while the bone marrow disease will be treated with a new drug regimen within the next month. The situation is dire, but McGuire is forging ahead with courage and with joy.

“I ask your prayers once again for me, and for my wife and children, that we can forge ahead with courage and with joy, living without fear and with complete abandonment to the holy will of God,” said McGuire in a letter to the Christendom community. “I am so indebted to you all, I don’t even know where to begin properly offering thanks.  Please accept this poor acknowledgement of the debt, and my offering of my own struggles and sufferings for all of your intentions.

During this time, the Christendom community asks for all to join in prayer for the healing of Dr. McGuire and for comfort for his family.

Blessed Solanus Casey, pray for us.