Incoming freshman Jacob Kristine was recently named the winner of the Cardinal Newman Society’s Essay Scholarship Contest, earning the scholarship for his essay about the advantages of choosing a faithful Catholic college. This marks the second year in a row that an incoming Christendom freshman has won this contest, after rising sophomore Sarah Davis won last year.

Writing that he believes college is more than simply time spent in the classroom, but also time spent “living in community with like-minded Catholics,” Kristine is eager to attend an authentically Catholic college where he will learn the Truth, live the Faith, and thrive as a Catholic. 

“My siblings most definitely had an impact on my decision, along with a few other factors that played a part,” says Kristine, who is the fifth member of his family to attend Christendom. “Attending the Best Week Ever [high school summer program] was amazing. I remember coming home and talking to my mom about it on the way to a cross-country practice. She asked me a question about the week, and I think I talked all the way there about how important a Catholic education would be for me. I am excited to go to a school with the kind of interaction between professor and students that I participated in that week.”

In his essay for the Cardinal Newman Society, Kristine expressed the advantages of attending a faithful Catholic college, emphasizing the academic, spiritual, and social life and how this stands in contrast to what is found at more secular institutions. 

“My siblings have bestowed upon me the great riches of understanding what gifts a truly Catholic college can impart to a young person,” wrote Kristine in his essay. “I have seen firsthand how this pursuit of Truth leads to a life that is Good and wholesome and sincerely promotes seeking the Creator of Beauty. I want to be immersed in that experience. In the fall of 2023, I will embark upon the path forged by my brothers and sister in seeking the True, embracing the Good, and drinking in the richness of the Beauty of a Catholic education.”

Kristine’s essay impressed the judges at the Cardinal Newman Society, who noted not only how he demonstrated his appreciation for faithful Catholic education but also the quality of his writing as well. His work earned him a $5000 scholarship for this fall. Although the Cardinal Newman Society is only able to cover the first year, Christendom will generously renew the scholarship for the remaining three years.

When he arrives on campus, Kristine will begin his liberal arts studies with the goal of eventually majoring in either history or political science and economics. In addition, he plans on participating in rugby and basketball. Most of all, he looks forward to the vibrant Catholic culture at Christendom, where he will be able to pursue Truth, Beauty, and Goodness in a community pointed firmly toward Christ.

“I have realized that the college experience is more than time spent in a classroom,” concludes Kristine. “It is the experience where living in community with like-minded Catholics encourages virtuous living and is a place to seek Truth and Beauty.”

Christendom accepts outside scholarships such as those the Cardinal Newman Society and the newly created St. Robert Bellarmine Fund offer along with others — learn more about the college’s own generous financial aid and scholarship offerings here.